Chile 2019 Solar Eclipse Tour – Santiago, Atacama Desert & La Serena
La Serena Chile 2019 Solar Eclipse Tour
Santiago- Atacama Desert-La Serena-Santiago 9-day 8-night Chile 2019 solar eclipse tour for the July 2, 2019 total solar eclipse in Chile with modestly priced lodging. Alternatively, you may want to look at our Luxury solar eclipse tour 2019.
Day 1/ JUNE 25 / Santiago Beginning of Chile 2019 Solar Eclipse Tour
- Reception at the Airport, assistance and transfer to your Hotel.
- Santiago city tour
- Funicular San Cristóbal Hill
- Lunch at Central Market
- Dinner at local restaurant
- (A pre-night hotel rate will be offered at a later date.)
PM, Santiago City tour with San Cristóbal Hill
Encounter Santiago, Chile’s capital, nestled in the central valley, right below the imposing Andes. This city mixes the “Mapuche” legacy, the natives that inhabited this land during the Pre-Columbian era, our Spanish colonial past and the modernity of any thriving city of the world. Walk its streets, visit its museums, engage with its architecture and become a part of it. Historical and contemporary features combined in the heart of Chile.
From your hotel in Santiago, the city downtown awaits you. Proceed through the main avenue of the city, Alameda del Libertador General Bernardo O’Higgins, passing by the San Francisco Church, the oldest monument of the country erected in 1568 housing a convent, miraculously withstanding several earthquakes.
Start off by visiting the Santa Lucía Hill, where the Spanish conquistador Pedro de Valdivia founded the city on February 12th 1541. After a quick visit to its top, descend to visit the Lastarria Neighborhood, located right below the hill. This recently renovated neighborhood houses little cute cafés, exquisite restaurants and a couple of museums worth visiting (time permitting).
From here, you will be taken to the La Moneda Palace, nowadays the neoclassical style government palace, but originally constructed to house the Mint of the Spanish Crown during the 18th century.
A few blocks away, walk along Paseo Ahumada until reaching Plaza de Armas (The Main Square). When Pedro de Valdivia founded Santiago in 1541, he laid out this square as the heart of the newly-formed city. This bustling spot houses the oldest buildings of the capital: the Cathedral Church of Santiago, rebuilt in 1748 on the very site where all four previous churches were destroyed by fires and earthquakes, the Central Post Office and the National Historical Museum, the former “Real Audiencia” or Spanish Royal Court.
A little further, cross the Mapocho River and head straight towards the Bellavista Neighbourhood, a lively place, core of the night and artistic life, where pubs, cultural centers and international gastronomy can be found.
Return to your hotel in Santiago. Dinner at the hotel restaurant.
Accommodation in PLAZA SAN FRANCISCO HOTEL, 01 NIGHT, Standard room, BB.
Day 2/ JUNE 26 / Santiago
- Breakfast at hotel restaurant
- Full day Tour Maipo Valley
- Wine tasting at Pérez Cruz winery or similar
- Wine tasting and lunch at Santa Rita winery
- Dinner on your own
Pérez Cruz vineyard
The winery was built of native woods with two barrel-shaped central naves, exterior arches that evoke the passing of wind through trees, and stone foundations that recall the structures the Incas left behind in the area.
Its sustainable design incorporates a gravity-flow process and has a 3 million-liter capacity.
By taking advantage of the conditions below ground, temperature and humidity are controlled naturally in the barrel cellar, which has a capacity for 5,000 barrels.
The Santa Rita Winery
Located in the Maipo Valley, only 40 kilometers away from the capital of Santiago, at the foothills of the Andes, the Santa Rita winery, declared a National Monument, is the perfect place to enjoy history as well as its excellent wines.
With its beautiful countryside landscapes, mixing sun, wind and winter rain to create the perfect Mediterranean climate conditions and make of this a valley specialist in the cultivation of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot grapes. The salts carried in the Maipo River waters, irrigate the fields, forming a unique equilibrium between flavor and acidity in its wines.
Founded in 1880 by Domingo Fernandez Concha; at the time, they had brought the latest French technology for its construction. French and American oak were used in its wine cellar, where the wines take a complex body with a taste of wood and smooth, delicate smell.
Tour the wine cellar, declared a National Monument, continue to wine taste two of Santa Rita´s wines: Sauvignon Blanc and Cabernet Sauvignon Medalla Real. Time permitting, visit the Museo Andino with its wide collection of 1800´s Pre-Columbian pieces of art.
After tour and wine tasting, return to your hotel.
Accommodation in PLAZA SAN FRANCISCO HOTEL, 02 NIGHT, Standard room, BB. Dinner on your own.
Day 3/ JUNE 27/ Santiago – Calama – San Pedro de Atacama
- Breakfast at the Hotel.
- Transfer out Santiago
- Flight to Calama
- Transfer Calama airport / San Pedro hotel
- HD Moon Valley excursion
Transfer to the airport to fly to Calama. Transfer to San Pedro de Atacama upon arrival.
Afternoon visit the archaeological museum Padre Le Paige where you can observe an impressive collection of the Atacameña culture.
Half day Moon valley Excursion
The Valley of the Moon, declared a Natural sanctuary and monument, is formed by a depression surrounded by small hills with stunning sharp ridges. The tour is an imaginary trip to “out of this world” landscapes that can only be found on other planets.
Depart from your hotel in San Pedro of Atacama and head to the Cordillera de la Sal (Salt Mountain Range), where you will visit the Valley of the Moon (“Valle de la Luna”) that forms part of the National Flamingo Reservation. This unique place is famous for its natural mineral sculptures, one of them being “Las Tres Marías” (The three Mary’s) formed by the wind erosion, resembling a lunar setting.
Next, visit Death Valley (“Valle de la Muerte”), a place that invites sand boarders to practice their favorite sport and sandy place with a particular geographical beauty. Its salt formations seem to be sculptures and works of art.
Finally, end your trip with a magical sunset at the Kari Viewpoint, one of the highest points of the “Cordillera de la Sal” (Salt Mountain Range); before returning to your hotel in San Pedro de Atacama.
Accommodation in KIMAL HOTEL, 01 NIGHT, Standard room, BB.
Day 4 / JUNE 28 / San Pedro de Atacama
- Breakfast at the Hotel.
- Full day excursion Atacama Salt Flat and Altiplanic Lagoons
- Lunch at a local cocinería
Full day Atacama Salt Flat and Altiplanic Lagoons
The Atacama Salt Flat, the largest in Chile, is home to one of the most important Flamingo Reservations, the Flamingos National Reserve. Make a soft walk along a path to the Chaxa Lagoon, in order to appreciate the rich fauna of the place.
Depart from your Hotel in San Pedro de Atacama, while heading by the international highway towards the Atacama Salt Flat, one of the largest in the world due to its large size. Within the Salt Flat, in the area known as Soncor and the Chaxa Lagoon, be delighted with the three species of native pink flamingos.
Continue and travel further within the Altiplano, reaching 4,300 meters above sea level. Arrive at the Miñique and Miscanti lagoons, at the foothill of the Miñique and Miscanti volcanoes, with fantastic scenery of bluish waters arising from the background volcanoes. After this visit, we will return to Socaire for lunch at one of the rustic cooking places of the village, that still use the resources cultivated from the ancestral agricultural terraces.
Finally, make a stop at the village of Toconao, where we will visit the main square, the bell tower built in 1750 made of cactus wood, mud and straw, and the church of San Lucas, both declared National Monument since 1951. Return to your Hotel in San Pedro de Atacama.
Accommodation in KIMAL HOTEL, 02 NIGHT, Standard room, BB.
Day 5 / JUNE 29 / San Pedro de Atacama
- Full day excursion Tatio Geysers
- Breakfast at the geothermal field
- Lunch at a local restaurant
- Afternoon at leisure
Full day Tatio Geysers and Machuca village
Deep in the most arid desert of the world, the impressive natural spectacle of steam combined with volcanic magma of the Tatio Geysers is waiting for you to be surprised by its visual performance. Make a visit to Machuca, a small herder’s settlement in the North of the country.
Pick up at dawn from your hotel in San Pedro de Atacama. Depart towards the Altiplano, reaching an altitude of 4,320 meters above sea level, to visit The Tatio Geysers; one of the most important geothermal fields in the world.
Thanks to the extreme cold temperatures, be witness of different geothermal manifestations and its fumaroles that easily reach 10 meters high and the geysers up to 8 meters. After watching this delightful spectacle, it is time to spend a refreshing dip in a hot pool.
Taking the same way back, we stop for a few minutes in the wetlands of Putana, where you can see different species against the backdrop of the Colorado Volcano. Finally, we will make the last stop of the trip in the village of Machuca, a little town where the original Altiplanic architecture is reflected in the St. James Church.
Upon completion of your tour, it is time to return to your hotel in San Pedro de Atacama.
Lunch and dinner at local restaurant.
Accommodation in KIMAL HOTEL, 03 NIGHT, Standard room, BB.
Day 6 / June 30 / San Pedro de Atacama – Santiago – La Serena
- Breakfast at the Hotel.
- Transfer out Calama
- Arrival to Santiago, connect with flight to La Serena
- Dinner at local restaurant or at the hotel
Arrival to La Serena and transfer to your hotel.
Dinner with presentation concerning the total solar eclipse.
Accommodation in FRANCISCO DE AGUIRRE HOTEL, 01 NIGHT, Standard room, BB.
Day 7/ JULY 1 / La Serena
- Breakfast at the Hotel
- Tour Elqui Valley with Pisco Distillery
- Lunch at local restaurant
- Dinner independent
Check out and pick up from Francisco de Aguirre hotel to excursion Elqui Valley, to visit Cathedral, Bauer Tower and Main Square in Vicuña city, Montegrande and Pisco Elqui villages.
Lunch at a typical restaurant in Elqui Valley.
Transfer back to a Serena hotel.
Accommodation in FRANCISCO DE AGUIRRE HOTEL, 03 NIGHT, Standard room, BB
Day 8/ JULY 2 / La Serena
- Breakfast at the Hotel / morning free
- Transfer to Vicuña / Elqui Valley
- Eclipse observation
- Visit to one observatory
13:00 hrs.- Transfer to Elqui Valley, where you can see the beautiful eclipse of the sun, we will have tables and chairs for People to observe comfortably and taste a picnic lunch, consisting on: some local products such as goat cheese, charqui, olives, sandwiches, candied papayas, dried fruits, red and white wine, pisco sour, mineral water, natural fruit juice, accompanied by our guide.
18:00 hrs.- Continuation to El Pangue Observatory to nocturnal observation.
Located at 18km. to the south from Vicuña, approximately at 80 km. to the east from La Serena. The observatory is situated in Hacienda El Pangue.
It was created to respond to the people that wants more quality respect to technology and staff. Here is located the biggest public telescope in Chile.
Here the people can discover the wonders of the Universe in optimal conditions. Not only you will observe through state-of-the-art telescopes, but you will deeply understand what you see, thanks to the clever, accurate, and always surprising explanations given by guides.
Moreover, any query is welcome, and every question will be answered, either about the latest astronomy news, or about leading astrophysics topics. Hence, without any previous knowledge in astronomy, you’ll be allowed to truly enjoy the endless enchantment of the Universe to which we do belong.
22:30 HRS.- Back to La Serena
23:45 hrs.-Dinner at Bakulic Restaurant or similar
Accommodation in FRANCISCO DE AGUIRRE HOTEL, 02 NIGHT, Standard room, BB.
Day 9/ JULY 3 / La Serena
- Brunch at the Hotel
- PM: Transfer to airport. Board flight to Santiago.
- Farewell dinner with transfers
In due time, transfer to La Serena airport. Arrival to Santiago and transfer to hotel. At night, enjoy a farewell dinner at Tierra Noble Restaurant (transfers included).
Accommodation in PLAZA SAN FRANCISCO HOTEL, 01 NIGHT, Standard room, BB.
Day 10/ JULY 4 Santiago
- Breakfast at the Hotel
- Transfer out
In due time, transfer to Santiago airport.
2019 Solar Eclipse Tour in Chile
|PER PERSON IN U.S.DOLLARS 2019 Solar Eclipse Tour in Chile|
|Number of Passengers||15 / 19||20 / 24||25 / 30|
|Net Per Person in double Twin room||4885.00||4615.00||4435.00|
$500 pp due at sign up.
$500 pp due July 2018.
$100 domestic air deposit December 1, 2018 if booked from Tropical Sails Corp.
Final Payments due April 28, 2019.
Insurance to cover pre-existing conditions is due 10 days after sign up.
Insurance to cover travel, accident and cancellation due at final payment.
Deposits are refundable less credit card fees until January 1, 2019.
After January 1, 2019 refunds are at the discretion of Tropical Sails Corp. In practice we will make refunds as you space is replaced.
NO refunds after April 1, 2019 unless we replace your booking.
Deduct 2% for payment by check or wire.
Early booking discount is $200, expires July 2018.
Past customer discount is $100. Give names and tours you booked with Tropical Sails Corp and we will check rosters.
2019 Solar Eclipse Tour in Chile Inclusions:
- Services by private vehicle with local English speaking guide.
- Accommodation with buffet breakfast daily served at the hotel
- Meals only where mentioned. Set menu: starter, main course, dessert, 01 soft drink and coffee per person.
- Mineral water during excursions
- Entrance ticket to Pangue Observatory
- Picnic lunch with local products during Eclipse
- Porterage at airport an hotel ONLY in Santiago
- Service charges and legal taxes where applicable.
- Wine tastings in Maipo Valley
- Entrances fees to Museums where mentioned
- Entrances fees to all National Parks in Atacama
- Rooms paid from regular check in time (3.00pm) until regular check out time (12.00noon).
- Solar Eclipse Viewing Glasses
- Solar Eclipse Tee Shirt
2019 Solar Eclipse Tour in Chile Exclusions:
- Air ticket and airport taxes. 3 domestic flights estimated at $600.
- Gratuities for guides and/or drivers.
- Extras at the hotel, such as: laundry, telephone calls, etc.
- Any item not mentioned in the itinerary.
– Museums in Chile open daily except MONDAYS and HOLIDAYS all year round.
– Rates detailed above are subject to revision in the future
- Idaho 2017 Solar Eclipse Tour
- Pucon Chile Solar Eclipse Tour 2020
- 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Phone Apps
- Solar Eclipse Tour 2017 Yellowstone Adventure with Teton Springs Lodge
- National Parks Solar Eclipse Tour 2017
- 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Tour with Mt. Rushmore & Yellowstone
- Chile Solar Eclipse Tour 2019: Atacama Lodge, Santiago & La Serena
- Yellowstone & Tetons 2017 Solar Eclipse Tour 7 Nights Hatchet
- Chile 2019 Solar Eclipse Tour – Santiago, Atacama Desert & La Serena
- Alto Atacama Lodge and Spa
- Chile Eclipse Tour 2019 Preparation
- Salt Lake City-Idaho Solar Eclipse 2017 Tour Package: 3 Nights
- Jackson Wyoming Solar Eclipse Planning for August 21, 2017
- Weather Map August 21, 2015 for Solar Eclipse 2017 Planning
- Travel to Madagascar for an Annular Solar Eclipse Tour Aug-Sept 2016
- Annular Solar Eclipse Tour 2016 Tanzania
- 1998 Solar Eclipse Cruise Windjammer S/V Polynesia
- Belitung Island Indonesia Solar Eclipse Tour 2016
- Solar Eclipse Tour 2016 to Palu Sulawesi Indonesia
- Solar Eclipse 2016 Report and Photos
- 42 Night Asia 2016 Solar Eclipse Cruise
- Solar Eclipse 2017 Safe Solar Viewing Glasses
- Solar Eclipse Cruise from Singapore March 2016
- Indonesia Solar Eclipse Cruise 2016
- Cruise to Observe Indonesian Solar Eclipse March 2016
- Solar Eclipse Cruise 2015 From London
- Australia Solar Eclipse Cruise November 2012
- Bali Indonesia Solar Eclipse Cruise March 3-16 2016
- Solar Eclipse Tour and Cruise to Faroe Islands 2015
- Turkey Gulet Sailing: Solar Eclipse Trip 1999
Solar Eclipse Tour 2019 Survey
Chile for July 2nd, 2019 is in the planning stages. Please let us know how long of a tour you would like. Do you want Brazil, Argentina and Peru worked into the tour?